Why I’m giving up sugar for 44 days.
I turned 44 recently and I decided I am going to do something I have needed to do for a long time – give up sugar. It is hard for me to imagine giving it up permanently, but I can imagine doing it for 44 days.
Why am I doing this? A number of reasons. I know that sugar:
- Is addictive, and I don’t want anything having this much power over me
- Causes low energy, and I often have low energy
- Causes weight gain, and I am overweight
- Causes inflammation
- Increases the chances for diabetes, cavities, heart disease, stroke, and cancer
- Leads to higher cholesterol
- Impacts gut flora negatively
- Increases skin and cellular aging
- Accelerates cognitive decline
- A lot more reasons can be found here: https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/30-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad-for-us/
I know this won’t be easy. I really like chocolate, candy, ice cream, etc., but it is important to me that I make this change for at least 44 days.
44 days from today is May 26, 2021. I plan to blog on here about how things are going.
Day 1 – April 12, 2021
I felt pretty good today avoiding sugar. I did bake some cookies that use oat flour, almond flour, and maple syrup. The only sugar is from a few chocolate chips, and that helped with any cravings.
I also ate a Ginger Chew before I realized that the number one ingredient is cane sugar 👎
I spent some time in the evening creating a list of healthy snacks:
- Carrots & hummus
- Chips & salsa
I’m also going to make some more healthy treats, but try to turn more to fruit and veggies for cravings.